History

New Hope Missionary Baptist Church was originally known as, “The First Baptist Missionary Church; Colored”. The church was organized on October 3rd of 1891 in Dickson, Tennessee by Reverend J.C. Bell. Services for New Hope were held in a small framed building. Member growth forced the small church to seek land to build a bigger building that would accommodate all members.

On January 6, 1908 Rev. John W. Cook was nominated and installed as Pastor. Then the plan on building the new church proceeded with the help of Deacon Hopkins, Cox, and Tom Weems where they helped find the location in Charlotte, TN. Members  help build the church themselves and began to use that property for church services soon after.

Throughout the decades of services we had great pastors:

  • 1909-1909 Rev G.M. Fisher

1910-1910 Reverend H.G Stokes He took interests in the children and started the “Children’s Day Program” and financial drives.

  • 1912-1913 Rev. Hill  started the first choir in church history
  • 1915-1918 Rev. Samuel Wright
  • 1919-1919 T.M. Mills
  • 1920 Rev. Drake
  • 1922 Rev. Phillips The first pastors to graduate the Baptist Seminary
  • 1923 Rev. Moore
  • 1925-1929 Rev. Rucker
  • 1930-1931 Rev John Dickerson
  • 1931 Rev. Houston Smith
  • 1932-1939 Reverend Roger W. Richmond The second graduate of the Baptist Seminary. Under the leadership where “the Baptist Young People Union” was established.
  • 1941-1947 Reverend J. Royster Powell, Sr. Graduate from Tennessee State University, American Theological Seminary and a employee of the National Baptist Publishing Board. He was a singer and started Sunday school and Bible study.  New Hope was in the process of building a new church where it collapsed during construction. Services were held in the basement of the old building.
  • 1948-1952 Reverend Booker T. Hopkins graduate of Tennessee State University. Services continue to be held in the basement. A new church was built in 1948. The N.H.P club was established and played a great part in supporting the church.
  • 1952 Reverend Hardin D. Atkinson Restrooms, Pastor’s study and the baptism pool installed. Pastor Atkinson did most of the carpentry himself. The first Thanksgiving Dinner took at New Hope.  Purchased one piano in which Brother Lawrence Knight was the pianist.
  • 1960 Eddie Smith
  • 1961-1961 Reverend Van Springer of Dickson, Tennessee served as pastor new roof, furnace was installed. We hosted the “Duck River Association.
  • 1965-1968 Reverend Curtis Tolbert a student of Baptist Theological Seminary in Nashville. The first “Women’s Day Program” was established, the church basement was remodeled. The church Covenant was framed by Deacon Sam Hannah.
  • 1969-1986 Reverend George W. Brown served the church for 16 years. Pastor Brown helped curve the look of the church inside and out. Installed air conditioning, basement panels, graveled parking lot, choir stands, choir robes and hymn books added.
  • 1986 Reverend Michael Miles
  • 1986 – Present The Reverend Matthew Lester, Sr.  In July 13, 1986 Matthew Lester, sr. Was called to Pastor at New Hope Missionary Baptist Church. Pastor Lester is a dynamic and spiritual leader, teacher and motivator. He graduated from the American Baptist Theological Seminary of Nashville. Established bible studies workshops. Preached and conducted his first revival. Promotes unity and serves actively in the community and serves as coordinator and leader of the Dickson Minister’s Alliance. Under his leadership the church increased members and deacons were added and ordained. Annex was paid off four years ahead of schedule. Constitution and by-laws were drafted and installed. Mothers were added.  Brotherhood and Missionary II was established. Annual concert organized by Min. Vera Lester. Youth department established. The church purchased two (2) church vans to pick up local members.  Pastor Lester introduced his vision to build a new church sanctuary. The financial drive began to pay off the box property in 1999. The note was paid off early. The Ground Breaking service was celebrated August 1999. The note again was paid off well ahead of schedule. Building, planning and development committees were established.
    THE MINISTERIAL STAFF, DEACONS, OFFICERS, TRUSTEES, MOTHERS, YOUTH AND THE ENTIRE NEW HOPE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHRUCH FAMILY, WITH JOY AND GRATITUDE CELEBRATE HIS DEDICATION OF OUR NEW SANCTUARY & TH CHURCH ANNIVERSITY